VO2 max in general population
VO2 max for professional cyclists
The VO2 max as a value predictor: yes or no?
VO2 max is a value that can be measured with special tests and all cyclists who train seriously know the value.
The 3 factors that determine the power at the threshold
- VO2 max or how much oxygen you can deliver to your muscle, it is the size of your aerobic engine.
- The fraction of utilization of your VO2 max. Basically which % of your VO2 max you can sustain for 20,30, 40 minutes. This is not necessarily the same for every athlete. You could have two athletes with the same VO2 max but one can use 80% and the other maybe 85%.
- The economy: so even if those two athletes that have the same VO2 max, they use the same % of VO2 (thus having the same threshold), they would the same oxygen consumption, however one may be able to produce more watts. You can have a cyclist that with one litre of oxygen can produce 80 watts of power; another could produce only 65 watts.
The first two factors (VO2 max and fraction of utilization of the VO2 max) can be considered as metabolic components of the performance. The third factor (economy) can be considered as a neuromuscular component of the performance.
What is Technogym Neuromuscular Training?
- Estimation of the Anaerobic Threshold by means of the Technogym Maximal Test or the Technogym FTP Test (Functional Threshold Power Test).
- A training plan consisting of three phases (Preparation, Development, Transition) of six weeks each. Each week encompasses three training sessions.
- Body weight exercises. The MyCycling app features a list of body weight exercises aimed to improve pedal efficiency through the stabilisation of the pelvis (activating the core muscles) and the stretching of the flexor’s muscles.
- Pedal Printing. A specific feature of the MyCycling App that allows the possibility of controlling the pedal efficiency: the balance between right and left leg, pedal smoothness.
To whom the TNT is dedicated?
However, there is two category that benefits the most from MyCycling in general and TNT in particular:
- Those who wish to utilize time more efficiently. Typically, with two short but effective indoor session a week and one long distance session outdoor.
- Competitive cyclists who need specifically fixed training variables (power, duration, cadence) for performance enhancement.